Afghan war film makes box office history in Russia
The Ninth Company was among the first to be sent to Afghanistan and was stationed in the mountains at a height of 3,234 metres to cover the retreat of Soviet forces. In the film, the company finds itself overwhelmed by Afghan fighters and all but one of the Russians die in a gun battle.
The Soviet invasion and occupation of Afghanistan, beginning in 1979, killed 15,000 Russian soldiers. At home it was downplayed as a "military action" and discussion of its merits was discouraged.
Recent developments in Afghanistan and the American experience in Iraq are helping to create interest in Russia's Afghan stories, Bondarchuk said. He is the first director to dare bring the story to the screen.
"It wasn't possible to make a movie about the Afghan war in the Soviet Union,'' Bondarchuk said in an interview in Moscow. "And later Russia wasn't 'interested' because of the troubles in Chechnya."
Made with a budget of $9 million US, Ninth Company saw 1,500 servicemen take part in the filming. It was made in collaboration with Pinewood Shepperton Studios of the U.K., the birthplace of all the James Bond movies and Black Hawk Down, as well as the latest Tim Burton movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Afghan veterans who were among the 2.4 million Russians who saw the movie in its opening weekend say it helps legitimize their war experiences.
comments powered by Disqus
- 150 years later, schools are still a battlefield for interpreting Civil War
- Where are America's memorials to pain of slavery, black resistance?
- Richmond split over Confederate history
- The World's Jewish Population Is Nearing Pre-Holocaust Levels
- Bernie Sanders’s Revolutionary Roots Were Nurtured in ’60s Vermont
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- David Hackett Fischer wins $100,000 prize for lifetime achievement in military writing