In Scottish schools, students will be required to learn about LGBTI historyBreaking News
tags: education, LGBT, Scotland
Related Link Putting LGBTI issues in the school curriculum goes far beyond ‘political correctness’ (The Conversation)
Just 18 years ago, it was still illegal in Scotland to “intentionally promote homosexuality” in schools.
Now, the Scottish government will mandate all state schools introduce a curriculum that explains the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) activism. Schools will also educate students on the use of LGBTI terminology and discuss ways to address homophobia.
“Our education system must support everyone to reach their full potential,” Scottish Deputy First Minister John Swinney said Thursday. “The recommendations I have accepted will not only improve the learning experience of our LGBTI young people, they will also support all learners to celebrate their differences, promote understanding and encourage inclusion.”
comments powered by Disqus
- United Ireland "Closer Now than it's Ever Been"
- Libraries Do Face Attacks, but Not Like the "Freedom Libraries" of 1964
- The Writer of "The Onion" SCOTUS Brief Takes Parody Seriously
- Religious Colleges on Front Lines of "Critical Race Theory" Battles
- Marfa, TX School to Become National Historic Site Preserving Story of Segregated Mexican Americans