Exhibition on T.E. Lawrence issues warning from historyBreaking News
The artefacts, photographs and documents catalogue the deepening involvement of Britain in the postwar Middle East and the fateful changes that shaped today's still turbulent region. Lawrence felt Arab hopes had been betrayed by the secret wartime carve-up that gave France control of Syria and Lebanon and Britain of Palestine - where the Jews had been promised a "national home" - and Transjordan. Prince Faisal, Hussein's son, became king of Iraq and his dynasty ruled until it was overthrown by the precursors of the Ba'ath party.
Tales of derring-do go alongside the geo-politics. Exhibits include Lawrence's silk robes, Arab headdress and Lee Enfield rifle (notched to mark the killing of a Turkish officer). There is the white flag raised at the surrender of Jerusalem and rusting bits of the Hejaz railway where he honed his guerrilla techniques. The IWM has even tracked down the Brough Superior SS100 motorcycle he was riding when he was killed.
Lawrence's stylish wit is much in evidence. So, too, is the depressive side that led him to despair and anonymity. Controversy about his sexuality - he was raped by a Turkish official and paid to be flogged while serving incognito in the postwar RAF - is not settled. And there is still mystery about the identity of the "SA" to whom he dedicated his master-work, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. A colleague called him: "An odd gnome, half cad, with a touch of genius."
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity