History professor’s constant "dumb blonde" remarks forced me to dye my hair, claims Stony Brook student in lawsuitHistorians in the News
tags: sexism, Stony Brook University, Erin Mosier, Sexual Discrimination
An ex-Stony Brook University student says her undergraduate advisor called her a “dumb blonde” so often that she became a brunette just to shut him up.
Erin Mosier, 24, made the claim in a Manhattan federal court lawsuit that accuses Stony Brook history professor Larry Frohman — who was her teacher and academic advisor — of sexually discriminating against her.
“You have to prove to me you are not just an airhead dumb blonde with a pretty face,” Frohman once told Mosier in front of the student’s mother, the lawsuit said.
“Can you get through all of your blonde?” Frohman told Mosier once when she asked him to explain an issue after class, the lawsuit claims.
Frohman’s repeated remarks about Mosier’s brassy locks made her “so uncomfortable with her appearance that she changed her hair color from blonde to brown,” according to the Manhattan federal court. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- George Washington gets romanticized by male biographers. Now a woman has taken him on.
- Can Donald Trump Avoid a War with Iran? History Tells Us To Worry.
- Who Owns History? Connecticut Woman Sues Harvard for Family Photos
- In 1933, two rebellious women bought a home in Virginia’s woods. Then the CIA moved in.
- Historic Iwo Jima footage shows individual Marines amid the larger battle
- Historian Ruth Ben-Ghiat Quoted in Washington Post Article on Trump's Quest to Rewrite History
- This one-of-a-kind conference celebrates the real people behind the Underground Railroad
- Zara Steiner, distinguished scholar of diplomatic history, dies at 91
- Historian James T. Kloppenberg Writes Article About Teaching Pete Buttigieg
- How a Fake Priest Duped Oxford and a World-Famous Historian