History professor’s constant "dumb blonde" remarks forced me to dye my hair, claims Stony Brook student in lawsuitHistorians in the News
tags: sexism, Stony Brook University, Erin Mosier, Sexual Discrimination
An ex-Stony Brook University student says her undergraduate advisor called her a “dumb blonde” so often that she became a brunette just to shut him up.
Erin Mosier, 24, made the claim in a Manhattan federal court lawsuit that accuses Stony Brook history professor Larry Frohman — who was her teacher and academic advisor — of sexually discriminating against her.
“You have to prove to me you are not just an airhead dumb blonde with a pretty face,” Frohman once told Mosier in front of the student’s mother, the lawsuit said.
“Can you get through all of your blonde?” Frohman told Mosier once when she asked him to explain an issue after class, the lawsuit claims.
Frohman’s repeated remarks about Mosier’s brassy locks made her “so uncomfortable with her appearance that she changed her hair color from blonde to brown,” according to the Manhattan federal court. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Washington History Seminar 10/2: Gambling with Armageddon: Nuclear Roulette from Hiroshima to the Cuban Missile Crisis, 1945-1962
- Smithsonian Taps N.Y. Cultural Director To Lead African American Museum
- Unredacted FBI Document Sheds New Light on White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
- America Is About to Enter its Years of Lead
- The forgotten alliance between Black activists and China