"Idiot's Guide" Simplifies Lincoln's Complex LegacyBreaking News
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Legacy of Lincoln" promises readers a review of his life, presidency, oratory and impact on modern life — all in 332 pages chock full of bullet-points and info boxes.
Author Pamela Oldham admits the idea of an "idiot's guide" to such a complex, important figure sounds a bit odd. But she thinks it serves a legitimate purpose.
"I've written this for people who want to know more about Lincoln without having to slog through a thick, academic book," she said. "Once they've tasted the breadth that is offered in my book, they will likely want to delve further into it."
Each chapter opens with an outline of what will be covered and ends by recapping the basics under the heading "The Least You Need to Know." Topics range from Lincoln's youth to abolishing slavery to establishing public universities.
Terms such as "oratory" and "habeas corpus" are defined in "Lincoln Lingo" boxes. Other boxes offer bits of Lincoln trivia or discuss myths and misconceptions.
The guide provokes a mixed reaction from Kim Bauer, curator of the historical collection at Illinois' Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.
"It's a very good starting point," Bauer said. "The problem is that you have to worry about people taking this as the be-all and end-all — 'Once I've got this done, I know all I need to know about Lincoln."'
comments powered by Disqus
Mr. Hellmann - 10/12/2005
Use BLACK ink, NOT gray.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity