"Idiot's Guide" Simplifies Lincoln's Complex Legacy
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Legacy of Lincoln" promises readers a review of his life, presidency, oratory and impact on modern life — all in 332 pages chock full of bullet-points and info boxes.
Author Pamela Oldham admits the idea of an "idiot's guide" to such a complex, important figure sounds a bit odd. But she thinks it serves a legitimate purpose.
"I've written this for people who want to know more about Lincoln without having to slog through a thick, academic book," she said. "Once they've tasted the breadth that is offered in my book, they will likely want to delve further into it."
Each chapter opens with an outline of what will be covered and ends by recapping the basics under the heading "The Least You Need to Know." Topics range from Lincoln's youth to abolishing slavery to establishing public universities.
Terms such as "oratory" and "habeas corpus" are defined in "Lincoln Lingo" boxes. Other boxes offer bits of Lincoln trivia or discuss myths and misconceptions.
The guide provokes a mixed reaction from Kim Bauer, curator of the historical collection at Illinois' Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.
"It's a very good starting point," Bauer said. "The problem is that you have to worry about people taking this as the be-all and end-all — 'Once I've got this done, I know all I need to know about Lincoln."'
comments powered by Disqus
Mr. Hellmann - 10/12/2005
Use BLACK ink, NOT gray.
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Novels About Real-Life Women Are Saving Forgotten History
- Rubio becomes the first Republican presidential candidate in 2016 to admit US must confront “painful” history of racial discrimination
- CNN documentary focuses on “Nixon’s Own 9/11"
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success