Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’Historians in the News
tags: racism, New Zealand, Taika Waititi, Ghost South Road
A historian is backing up Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is "racist as f**k" in a new book.
Ghost South Road sheds light on the racist history of south Auckland and New Zealand, according to Dr Scott Hamilton, the historian behind it.
"I wanted to expose the secret history of Auckland and New Zealand," Dr Hamilton told NZME.
The book delves into the story of Great South Rd, which was built from Auckland through the Waikato by the British army.
"The invasion of the Waikato was legitimated by racism and it cast a long shadow," Dr Hamilton said.
Looking through archives and old newspapers, Dr Hamilton discovered Māori were treated as "enemies of the state".
His research found Māori were excluded from bars, cinemas and barber shops in south Auckland.
"For much of the 20th century it was hard to get a drink in places like Papakura and Pukekohe if you were the wrong colour," he said. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Law Professor Criticized After Reading Racial Slur In Class
- Chicago 1968: Blood Outside the Arena (Reprinted from 8/28/1968)
- Abraham Lincoln and the Shavuot Controversy of 1865
- This Montana Farm Boy Became a Scientific Legend, Developing Vaccines to Protect Kids Worldwide
- Should the U.S. Favor Public Health or the Economy? History Shows they’re Inseparable