Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’Historians in the News
tags: racism, New Zealand, Taika Waititi, Ghost South Road
A historian is backing up Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is "racist as f**k" in a new book.
Ghost South Road sheds light on the racist history of south Auckland and New Zealand, according to Dr Scott Hamilton, the historian behind it.
"I wanted to expose the secret history of Auckland and New Zealand," Dr Hamilton told NZME.
The book delves into the story of Great South Rd, which was built from Auckland through the Waikato by the British army.
"The invasion of the Waikato was legitimated by racism and it cast a long shadow," Dr Hamilton said.
Looking through archives and old newspapers, Dr Hamilton discovered Māori were treated as "enemies of the state".
His research found Māori were excluded from bars, cinemas and barber shops in south Auckland.
"For much of the 20th century it was hard to get a drink in places like Papakura and Pukekohe if you were the wrong colour," he said. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Tom Engelhardt Writes Personal and Historical Essay: Turning 75 in the Age of Trump
- Historian Drew Gilpin Faust Pens Personal and Historical Essay: "Race, History, and Memories of a Virginia Girlhood"
- WBUR Is Belatedly Giving Credit to a Female Historian for a Segment
- Behind the men on the moon, there were thousands of women
- Professor Rebecca Gordon Pens Essay Revealing Her Abortion and Examines Ongoing History of Roe v. Wade