Victims of Communism Memorial' PlannedBreaking News
The 90-square-foot monument would be built on National Park Service land one block west of the Capitol. A central feature will be a bronze Goddess of Democracy statue similar to the papier-mache and Styrofoam statue erected by pro-democracy students in Beijing's Tiananmen Square during 1989 demonstrations.
The National Capital Planning Commission voted unanimously to give preliminary approval to the "Victims of Communism Memorial."
The memorial will honor an estimated 100 million people killed or tortured under communist rule.
"They include those who died in Stalinist purges, Mao Zedong's cultural revolution, or under the Pol Pot regime in Cambodia," said Lee Edwards, a fellow with the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank based in Washington.
Edwards has served as chairman of the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, which began lobbying for the project 12 years ago.
About 75 percent of the $600,000 needed to build and landscape the memorial already has been collected from donors with ties to Cuba, Hungary, Vietnam, Poland, and more than 35 other nations.
If final approval is granted in December, construction could begin next spring.
comments powered by Disqus
- 159 scholars at Harvard sign petition reprimanding the school for rejections of Chelsea Manning and Michelle Jones
- Fact Check: Steve Bannon’s Bad History
- The Story Behind the Truman Quote in President Trump's U.N. Speech
- As Trump Declares Missing in Action Recognition Day, How Many Service Members Are Missing?
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar