University of Chicago faculty tell Obama to move ‘socially regressive’ libraryBreaking News
tags: Obama library
More than 100 members of the University of Chicago faculty are asking the Obama Foundation to move the proposed library honoring the 44th president to a new location because the plan as currently constituted is “socially regressive.”
The Obama Presidential Center will not provide the “promised development or economic benefits” to surrounding neighborhoods, the professors write and could cost more than $100 million in state funds.
“We are concerned that these are not the best ways to use public funds to invest in the future of Chicago,” the letterreads.
The library will also take over large sections of two historic public parks, Jackson Park and Midway Plaisance, and force the closure of a major South Side thoroughfare, Cornell Avenue. The professors argue it’s a “traffic-jam in the making.”
comments powered by Disqus
- Josephine Baker First American, Black Woman, and Performer Inducted to French Pantheon
- An Unknown Supreme Court Clerk Created the "Viability" Standard in Roe v. Wade
- A New Force in American Labor: Academics
- Rutgers Gets Mixed Results in Examining Connections to Slavery
- Virginia's Universities are Part of a Long Racial Reckoning