Should Historians Be Pundits? An interview with Ibram X. Kendi, Nicole Hemmer and Michael KazinHistorians in the News
tags: elitism, pundits, op eds, experts, expertise
Related Link Are Historians Pundits? By Clare Spark
Ibram X. Kendi is a professor of international relations in the School of International Service and a professor of history at the College of Arts and Sciences at American University. He is the author of Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America, which won the 2016 National Book Award for Nonfiction.
Nicole Hemmer is an assistant professor in presidential studies at the Miller Center at the University of Virginia and co-editor of the Washington Post's Made by History.
Michael Kazin is a professor of history at Georgetown University and the editor of Dissent.
They were interviewed by the History News Network's Rick Shenkman on January 5, 2018 at the annual meeting of the American Historical Association after appearing on a panel convened to discuss the issues raised last summer in an op ed in the New York Times by Harvard's Moshik Temkin, "Historians Shouldn’t Be Pundits."
Below we've curated a collection of representative tweets posted during the session.
comments powered by Disqus
- Who Should Own Photos of Slaves? The Descendants, not Harvard, a Lawsuit Says
- No, Fox’s Katie Pavlich, the US Wasn’t the First to Abolish Slavery
- Boeing Brings 100 Years Of History To Its Fight To Restore Its Reputation
- Destroying Istanbul to 'Restore' It
- “Votes For Women," an Upcoming Exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery, Highlights the Bold Accomplishments of Women of Color
- Medgar Evers' home established as a national monument in Jackson
- MIT Historian Kate Brown Alleges United Nations Scientific Cover-Up Of Death And Disease Toll From Chernobyl
- Atlanta’s Civil War Monument, Minus the Pro-Confederate Bunkum
- In the age of distraction, one small publisher keeps local history alive in sepia tones
- Historians Weigh In: Are we returning to an age of political extremes?