HR McMaster says Russian meddling in our elections represents a real threatBreaking News
tags: Russia, Trump, HR McMaster
Gen HR McMaster told the BBC that Moscow used propaganda and disinformation against democracies. He said Russia's alleged meddling in US elections was "certainly" a national security threat.
He was speaking after President Trump's new national security policy labelled Russia and China "rival powers”.
Gen McMaster told the BBC's Yalda Hakim: "We have to look at what Russia's actually doing. Of course we have to counter Russia's destabilising behaviour, and the sophisticated campaigns of propaganda and disinformation.”
Those were "efforts to polarise communities and pit them against each other, especially in the democratic world and free and open societies", he added, saying that the intent was to "weaken their popular will and their resolve”.
"I believe that Russia is engaged in a very sophisticated campaign of subversion to affect our confidence in democratic institutions, in democratic processes - including elections.”
comments powered by Disqus
- What Happens When SCOTUS is This Unpopular?
- Eve Babitz's Archive Reveals the Person Behind the Persona
- Making a Uranium Ghost Town
- Choosing History—A Rejoinder to William Baude on The Use of History at SCOTUS
- Alexandria, VA Freedom House Museum Reopens, Making Key Site of Slave Trade a Center for Black History
- Primary Source: Winning World War 1 By Fighting Waste at the Grocery Counter
- The Presidential Records Act Explains How the FBI Knew What to Search For at Mar-a-Lago
- Theocracy Now! The Forgotten Influence of L. Brent Bozell on the Right
- Janice Longone, Chronicler of American Food Traditions
- Revisiting Lady Rochford and Her Alleged Betrayal of Anne Boleyn