British Home Office concerns over lesbianism, gallows and Great Train RobberBreaking News
Another book on abortion and seduction, We Have Been Warned by Naomi Mitchison, was a ‘pornographic concoction’ compared to the ‘innocent pastoral’ Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D H Lawrence. Other files show that ministers opposed allowing television cameras into the House of Commons in the 1960s as it might encourage MPs to become ‘TV performers’. Another batch of documents relates to Scotland Yard’s failure to arrest Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs in Brazil in 1974 and other released files relate to Home Office concerns over design flaws in Britain’s gallows.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook