Video of the Week: Before Stonewall, Julius' Bar Went Down in Gay HistoryRoundup
tags: Stonewall, LGBT, Video of the Week, Julius Bar
A rainbow flag hangs among Halloween decorations and framed movie stills in Julius’ bar, a divey haunt in Manhattan’s West Village. Light floods in through the window on a brisk October morning, warming the area where Dick Leitsch, 82, sits on a stool.
It’s hard to believe this place, which today caters to a largely gay clientele, is the same place where decades ago in 1966, Leitsch was denied service for being gay.
comments powered by Disqus
- United Ireland "Closer Now than it's Ever Been"
- Libraries Do Face Attacks, but Not Like the "Freedom Libraries" of 1964
- The Writer of "The Onion" SCOTUS Brief Takes Parody Seriously
- Religious Colleges on Front Lines of "Critical Race Theory" Battles
- Marfa, TX School to Become National Historic Site Preserving Story of Segregated Mexican Americans