Is It Possible That the Eisenhower Memorial Will Finally Get Built?Breaking News
tags: Eisenhower Memorial, Eisenhower
After more than a decade and a half of planning and controversy, work began Thursday on the long-stalled, $150 million memorial to Dwight D. Eisenhower with a groundbreaking at the four-acre site in Washington DC.
The memorial to the former president and World War II general will be built on Independence Avenue at the base of Capitol Hill in front of the Department of Education Building and close to the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.
Construction is expected to last about three years. “Dedication of the memorial is envisioned for the 75th Anniversary of V-E Day, May 8, 2020,” the Eisenhower Memorial Commission said in a statement.
comments powered by Disqus
- 20 years since America’s shock over Clinton-Lewinsky affair, public discussions on sexual harassment are changing
- The Trump Presidency: Year One
- From presidential nominee to freshman senator? Romney would make history if he runs.
- From King George IV to President Trump, The Fat Men Who’ve Ruled The World
- Here’s How One Family Prepared for Nuclear War in 1954
- Steve Bannon says historian Walter Russell Mead was the inspiration for hanging Jackson’s picture in the Oval Office
- A historian is helping students register to vote
- Pension report shows that a historian continues to be the highest paid pensioner in New York State education system
- Ibram X. Kendi’s NYT op ed drew a strong response
- Andrew Roberts says Trump might even win a second term