Is It Possible That the Eisenhower Memorial Will Finally Get Built?Breaking News
tags: Eisenhower Memorial, Eisenhower
After more than a decade and a half of planning and controversy, work began Thursday on the long-stalled, $150 million memorial to Dwight D. Eisenhower with a groundbreaking at the four-acre site in Washington DC.
The memorial to the former president and World War II general will be built on Independence Avenue at the base of Capitol Hill in front of the Department of Education Building and close to the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.
Construction is expected to last about three years. “Dedication of the memorial is envisioned for the 75th Anniversary of V-E Day, May 8, 2020,” the Eisenhower Memorial Commission said in a statement.
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations