Martin Luther: Reluctant reformer who rocked Christianity 500 years agoBreaking News
tags: religion, Christianity, Martin Luther, Protestant Reformation, Protestant
Five hundred years ago this month, Martin Luther set out to challenge his church and ended up starting what would become known as the Protestant Reformation.
On Oct. 31, 1517, Luther, then an Augustinian monk, theology professor and parish priest, published his 95 Theses, formally entitled “Disputation on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences.”
He was just 10 days shy of his 34th birthday.
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations