White House Calls Out Las Vegas Professor for Saying After Mass Shooting That Trump's Election Incited ViolenceHistorians in the News
tags: Trump, Mass Shooting, Las Vegas shooting, Tessa Winkelmann
Related Link A college professor criticized Trump. Now the White House wants an investigation
The White House says a University of Nevada-Las Vegas assistant professor should be “ashamed of herself” for telling her students four days after the Las Vegas mass shooting that “people will die” because of President Donald Trump’s election.
Tessa Winkelmann told her history class that she predicted Trump’s election would lead to death. Her comments came after Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and injured hundreds on the Las Vegas Strip, located minutes away from the university campus.
"I don’t know that these events would have inevitably happened whether or not he got elected, but he has rhetorical powers every president has to encourage or to discourage [violence]," Winkelmann said to her class on Thursday in a video obtained by the Las Vegas-Review Journal.
Keep up with this story and more by subscribing now
Winkelmann did not explicitly mention the Las Vegas shooting in the video, but she referred to how Trump “threatened to declare violence against North Korea” as rhetoric leading to violence.
“And words, especially if they are coming from someone who is president, have consequences,” she said.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders called out Winkelmann in an interview with the Journal. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"