Tsinghua University cancels professor's Cultural Revolution history classHistorians in the News
tags: Cultural Revolution, Tsinghua University
China's most prestigious university just canceled a history class on the Cultural Revolution, according to the professor who would have taught it.
Tang Shaojie, a professor in the philosophy department, has taught the course in previous years at Tsinghua University in Beijing and had plans to teach it again during the fall semester. However, the university canceled the class just a matter of weeks before the semester is set to begin.
"I was informed on July 1st that the course would be canceled, and then the news was released on July 3rd," Tang told the Global Times.
The course first appeared in 1995, titled "The History of the Cultural Revolution," but when Tang asked to teach it in 2006, his application was ignored. He could only bring the course to Tsinghua after changing its name to "Chinese Cultural History of 1966-76" -- leaving out the "revolution" part.
Now, he says that he can't teach about this tumultuous era in Chinese history at all. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of