History professor to run for CongressHistorians in the News
tags: Western Michigan University, David Benac
Days after U.S. Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Zeeland, got a challenger for his seat in 2018, another West Michigan Republican has been put into the crosshairs of a Democratic hopeful.
Western Michigan University (WMU) history professor David Benac, of Kalamazoo, has announced he will seek the Michigan 6th Congressional District seat, currently held by U.S. Rep. Fred Upton, R-St. Joseph.
“I just feel like Upton’s reign is over,” Benac said in a news release. “He made a horrible decision by going back on his position in regards to the AHCA bill and has lost the trust of many of his constituents.”
Benac is the second WMU professor to challenge Upton, after political science professor Paul Clements tried his luck in 2014 and 2016. Upton won both match-ups with 55 percent and 58 percent of the vote, respectively.
“Fred was overwhelmingly reelected with nearly 60 percent of the vote just seven months ago. For now he’s laser focused on common-sense, bipartisan policies to create Michigan jobs and serving the best interests of folks here at home,” said Upton campaign director Liz Garey. “While it’s no surprise a liberal candidate has announced, Fred’s top priority is to continue working tirelessly to make Southwest Michigan an even better place to live and work.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- 20 years since America’s shock over Clinton-Lewinsky affair, public discussions on sexual harassment are changing
- The Trump Presidency: Year One
- From presidential nominee to freshman senator? Romney would make history if he runs.
- From King George IV to President Trump, The Fat Men Who’ve Ruled The World
- Here’s How One Family Prepared for Nuclear War in 1954
- Steve Bannon says historian Walter Russell Mead was the inspiration for hanging Jackson’s picture in the Oval Office
- A historian is helping students register to vote
- Pension report shows that a historian continues to be the highest paid pensioner in New York State education system
- Ibram X. Kendi’s NYT op ed drew a strong response
- Andrew Roberts says Trump might even win a second term