'World's first newspaper published in Korea in 1557'Breaking News
Did Korea publish the first newspaper?
One Buddhist monk believes so. Jibong, 52, from the Yonghwa Temple in Yeongcheon, North Gyeongsang Province, says he has copies of the world's oldest daily newspaper, published in 1557.
Until now, the oldest was believed to be German daily Einkommende Zeitungen, whose first issue dates to 1660.
The monk said he has five issues of "Jobo" -- which translates into "morning news" -- dated Nov. 6, 15, 19, 23 and 24, 1577, in the lunar calendar.
comments powered by Disqus
- Pakistani Historian Mobarak Haidar says Muslims “have no religious basis to rule Jerusalem”
- AHA Announces Last-Minute Sessions Timed to News Events
- In Australia, historians and artists have turned to cartography to record the widespread killing of Indigenous people
- Columbia’s William Connell tells NPR why Italian-Americans embraced Columbus
- Scholar risked everything to tell Islamic State’s secrets