Freed slaves' heartbreaking ads tell personal stories of slaveryBreaking News
tags: slavery, Information Wanted ads
Margaret Jerrido is the archivist at Philadelphia’s Bethel AME church, where stored away in boxes are historical gems.
They’re called Information Wanted ads. They were written by newly freed slaves looking for lost family members who were sold or ran away.
“I didn’t even know they were there,” Jerrido said. “I just said to myself ‘oh my God, it’s just a hidden treasure.’”
comments powered by Disqus
- Toronto Holocaust historian uncovers brilliant ploy that spared lives of Jews
- Max Boot says what we need to do in Afghanistan is what no one wants to admit and that's nation-building
- Niall Ferguson chastises Trump’s comments on Cville but says the left’s open to criticism, too
- Male Historians Have Long Dominated Public Debates. Is Charlottesville a Turning Point?
- Kevin Levin says he’s changed his mind about Confederate statues