Trump tours The Hermitage, lays wreath on Andrew Jackson's tombBreaking News
tags: Supreme Court, Andrew Jackson, Trump
Related Link Jackson and Trump: How Two Populist Presidents Compare (NYT)
President Donald Trump on Wednesday toured The Hermitage, placed a wreath on President Andrew Jackson's tomb and called the seventh president the "people's president."
Trump, the first sitting president to visit since Ronald Reagan, toured Jackson's mansion, walked to his tomb saluting and laid a wreath as taps played in the background — all marking the 250th anniversary on Wednesday of Jackson's birth.
The visit by the 45th president is historic. Jackson's populist politics have resonated with Trump. Upon moving into the White House last month, the new president hung a portrait of Jackson in the Oval Office.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools