Report: Syrian government forces enter Palmyra, drive back Islamic StateBreaking News
tags: Palmyra, ISIS, Ancient Artifacts
Russian-backed Syrian government forces and their allies fought their way into Palmyra on Wednesday, driving back Islamic State militants who have held the historic city since December, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group reported.
A Hezbollah-run media outlet earlier reported that the Syrian army and its allies had recaptured the Palmyra citadel, on the city's western outskirts, and seized a modern palatial complex to the southwest.
Islamic State has captured Palmyra, whose ancient ruins are a UNESCO World Heritage Site, twice during Syria's six-year conflict.
comments powered by Disqus
- Alabama's State Archives Confronts Its Racist Past
- Alumni Blitz for the Liberal Arts
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg had to Leave America to See how Unfairly it Treated Women
- “The White Man Who Stayed” Tells A Story Of Activism During The Civil Rights Era (audio)
- U.K. Conservation Society Details Links to Colonialism and Slavery