Highway slated to be named after John Hope FranklinBreaking News
tags: John Hope Franklin
Anthony Foxx had one last, quiet but important mission before he left the Obama administration last week: setting in motion what’s needed to rename sections of North Carolina highways to honor two of the state’s civil rights icons.
The outgoing transportation secretary, and former mayor of Charlotte, signed proclamations last week calling on the North Carolina Department of Transportation to name a yet-to-be determined section of interstate in Mecklenburg County the “Julius Chambers Memorial Highway” and a portion of I-85 in Durham County the “John Hope Franklin Memorial Highway.”
comments powered by Disqus
- 50 Years Later, It Feels Familiar: How America Fractured in 1968
- Hawaii False Alarm Hints at Thin Line Between Mishap and Nuclear War
- Ohio Teacher Put on Leave After Lynching Remark to Black Student
- One year in, Donald Trump has redefined the presidency
- In Trump’s Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial Ranking
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"
- Bruce Cole, renaissance scholar who led National Endowment for the Humanities, dies at 79
- New book lays out for the first time the full story of Cuba's Cuban Missile Crisis
- Doug Brinkley says "Trump is the most racist president since Woodrow Wilson"