Roanoke neighborhood recognized: Longtime heart of the city's black population added to state registerBreaking News
Gainsboro, a 73-acre, 33-block tract north of the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks and west Interstate 581, was first developed about 1835 and was initially known as Big Lick.
For many years, the neighborhood was the economic, cultural and residential heart of Roanoke's black population.
The effort to recognize Gainsboro as a historic neighborhood dates to the 1980s.
comments powered by Disqus
- Norma Basch, pioneer in legal history, has died
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders