The Restoration of the United States Capitol DomeBreaking News
tags: restoration, United States Capitol
Click image for more pictures.
Beginning in 2013, the Architect of the Capitol began an enormous restoration of the dome of the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. Earlier this month, the restoration was completed, at a cost of $59.5 million. More than a thousand cracks were repaired, interior and exterior decorations scraped, cleaned, and restored, and 1,215 gallons of paint were used to repaint the exterior. Collected here are some images from the 1860s when the current dome was originally built, some images of the recent restoration process, and a few shots of the newly-restored structure. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- How the Little Ice Age Changed History
- Trump Administration to Turn Over Trove of Declassified Records to Argentina on Human Rights Violations Committed During Military Dictatorship
- To Understand The History Of Elite College Admissions, Just Follow The Money
- A Brief History of the Golan Heights, Claimed by Israel and Syria
- The warped history that fuels right-wing terrorism
- Justin Rose's New Book explores how Martin Luther King Jr. transformed the Christian notion of service into a politically salient concept
- Margaret MacMillan, History Professor Emeritus at Oxford University, Gives Warnings from history for Brexit Britain
- The Historian Who Thinks Donald Trump Is a Movie Hero
- In Memoriam: Joe Miller, Ground-Breaking Historian
- The Women Highlighting Women's History in Feminist Travel Guides