The Restoration of the United States Capitol DomeBreaking News
tags: restoration, United States Capitol
Click image for more pictures.
Beginning in 2013, the Architect of the Capitol began an enormous restoration of the dome of the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. Earlier this month, the restoration was completed, at a cost of $59.5 million. More than a thousand cracks were repaired, interior and exterior decorations scraped, cleaned, and restored, and 1,215 gallons of paint were used to repaint the exterior. Collected here are some images from the 1860s when the current dome was originally built, some images of the recent restoration process, and a few shots of the newly-restored structure. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- New Evidence on the US Response to Decolonization in Indonesia, Southeast Asia
- The Transcontinental Railroad, African Americans and the California Dream
- The 50th Anniversary of Warren Burger's Appointment as Chief Supreme Court Justice
- House Democrats, With Pelosi’s Support, Will Consider a Commission on Reparations
- The House Hearing on Slavery Reparations Is Part of a Long History. Here's What to Know on the Idea's Tireless Early Advocates
- Mary Fulbrook Wins Wolfson History Prize 2019 for Revelatory Holocaust Study Reckonings
- Trump and the Changing Power of the Presidency with William Howell
- Historian and Civil Rights Activist Paul Gaston Dies at 91
- How Accurate is HBO's Chernobyl? Experts Weigh In
- Anthony Price, British author of thrillers with deep links to history, dies at 90