Lacrosse, Wisconsin mayor acknowledges it was a Sundown Town and plans to issue apologyBreaking News
tags: sundown town
La Crosse’s mayor has acknowledged his city’s history as a “sundown town” that all but eliminated its black population and promised to make amends.
“We’ve got issues and are not shirking away from those issues,” Mayor Tim Kabat said. “We recognize this is a problem and need to do something about it.”
Sociologist James Loewen, author of “Lies My Teacher Told Me” and most recently “Sundown Towns,” spoke Thursday evening at a City Hall forum about La Crosse’s history of freezing out blacks.
comments powered by Disqus
- State lawmaker files bill to remove Virginia's Robert E. Lee statue from U.S. Capitol
- Massive Data Project Will Help People Identify Enslaved Ancestors
- U.S. Democracy Experienced Biggest Drop In 40 Years
- New Fox Series: Bill Clinton's Scandals
- Thailand drops royal insult charges against elderly historian
- Robert Caro says he’s reached 1966 in his next book on LBJ
- AHA asks members to "Help Protect the Census"
- Sports Historian Explains Why She Wrote that the NCAA is the Modern Jim Crow
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"