Retired history Professor Marc Cooper stabbed to death by a colleagueHistorians in the News
tags: obituary, Marc Cooper
An instructor at Missouri State University has been arrested for allegedly murdering a Jewish retired professor by stabbing him to death in his living room in front of his wife, reported the News-Leader.
Police arrested Edward M. Gutting, 43, after he reportedly killed Marc Cooper, 66, a professor emeritus of history at Missouri State University and an active member of his Reform synagogue.
Police found Gutting outside the Coopers’ home covered in blood. They arrested him without incident and brought him to Greene County Jail, where he is being held on $1 million bond.
According to the probable cause statement, Gutting broke into the Coopers’ home around 8 p.m. last Wednesday evening. Gutting then chased Cooper from the back door of the Coopers’ house, through the kitchen and into the living room, where he repeatedly stabbed Cooper with a long knife.
Nancy Cooper, Marc Cooper’s wife, tried to fight Gutting off, and was cut several times, the statement continued. Her wounds were not life-threatening. Gutting apparently told Nancy Cooper that whatever the reason he was trying to kill her husband “was between him and Cooper,” and that he did not want to kill her if he didn’t have to. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea