ISIS Releases Video showing its destruction of the Palmyra Museum's ArtifactsBreaking News
tags: Palmyra, ISIS, ISIL
ISIS has released a new "heritage snuff" video that shows its destruction of the Palmyra Museum's Palmyrene funerary portraiture as well as desecration of the museum's mummies which DGAM personnel had stored in a protective bricked-sealed enclosure at the museum prior to ISIS overtaking the city in May 2015.
The 57 second video shows militants lifting funerary reliefs from shelving and dropping them forcefully onto the floor. Other historic artifacts are subjected to repeated blows with sledgehammers, filmed for cinematic effect.
More disturbing however is the footage of the desecration of human remains that had once been stored on exhibit within the museum. Lined up on a sandy street in Tadmur, the mummies were crushed with what appears to be a heavy military vehicle.
comments powered by Disqus
- Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham on the AP Af-Am Studies Controversy
- 600 African American Studies Faculty Sign Open Letter in Defense of AP African American Studies
- Organization of American Historians Statement on AP African American Studies
- Historians on DeSantis and the Fight Over Black History
- How the Right Got Waco Wrong