India’s ‘Brexit’ Took More Than a ReferendumBreaking News
tags: India, Brexit
That “Brexit” took two centuries of mutinies and protests, culminating in the nonviolent movement led by Gandhi, to compel the British to grant India independence in 1947 and leave soon after.
So Indians watched with interest as Britain, perceiving a threat to its sovereignty, voted in a referendum to leave the European Union. And they marveled at how much easier this Brexit was to achieve.
comments powered by Disqus
- Washington History Seminar 10/2: Gambling with Armageddon: Nuclear Roulette from Hiroshima to the Cuban Missile Crisis, 1945-1962
- Smithsonian Taps N.Y. Cultural Director To Lead African American Museum
- Unredacted FBI Document Sheds New Light on White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
- America Is About to Enter its Years of Lead
- The forgotten alliance between Black activists and China