A problematic diversity of views after Orlando shootingsRoundup
tags: terrorism, guns, LGBT, Mass Shooting, Orlando
Suppose you’re the sort of liberal who thinks America should accept and celebrate diverse peoples, traditions and cultures. But you also believe that homosexuals should enjoy the rights of other human beings, including the right to marry.
Or let’s say you’re the type of conservative who — like Donald Trump — thinks that we should close our doors to Muslims. But you also think gays are sinful and deviant, and that marriage should be reserved for straights.
Either way, the Orlando tragedy poses a big problem for you.
When Omar Mateen murdered 49 people at a gay nightclub early Sunday, he reminded us that some cultural groups in the world simply do not accept homosexuality. You can’t unequivocally “celebrate diversity” — as the liberal bumper sticker urges — alongside gay rights, because some of the diverse people in our midst hate gays.
And the haters come in all colors and faiths, of course. Antigay white conservatives who want to keep out members of the Islamic faith might be surprised — and, I hope, embarrassed — about how many Muslims share their view of gays and lesbians. How can you condemn homosexuality, then demand the exclusion of people who do the same? ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of