EU lawmakers call for Iron Curtain trailBreaking News
EU lawmakers said they wanted the 4,250-mile route to preserve the memory of the continent's division, promote a European identity and celebrate the reunification of Europe.
The trail would start at the Arctic Sea and lead along Finland's border with Russia, through the Baltic States and Poland to Germany, where it would shadow the former border between the eastern and western part of the country. It would continue along the Austrian border with the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary, and along the Danube to the Black Sea.
The proposal is partly inspired by the Boston Freedom Trail, which commemorates the Revolutionary War in the United States, and the Berlin Wall Trail, a 100-mile route that shadows the wall that divided the German capital during the Cold War.
comments powered by Disqus
- Wow: Barack and Michelle Obama to be paid $60 million in book deal
- Betsy DeVos Press Release Celebrates Jim Crow Education System as Pioneer of “School Choice”
- Eisenhower Concluded Neither U.S. Military Operations Nor Popular Uprisings Were Feasible in Soviet-Controlled Eastern Europe, Despite “Rollback” Rhetoric
- Jesse Jackson: It’s ok to leave Confederate monuments in place, but tell the full story
- Taiwan Commemorates a Violent Nationalist Episode, 70 Years Later
- Harvard President Drew Faust says the university is documenting its ties to slavery
- Mostafa el-Abbadi, Champion of Alexandria’s Resurrected Library, Dies at 88
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser