Israel's Likud has history of bitter strugglesBreaking News
1986 - Chaotic party convention breaks up in fistfights during a power struggle between then-Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir, Sharon and David Levy.
1990 - Leading the Likud hawks, Sharon seizes microphone to shout down Shamir at a rancorous party convention, protesting at a plan to allow Palestinians to hold elections.
1992 - Ferocious power struggle leaves Shamir at the helm after beating back challenges from Sharon and Levy. But turmoil is blamed for weakening Likud, which loses election to Labour.
1993 - Netanyahu topples Shamir after campaign in which Netanyahu goes on television to admit an extramarital affair and accuse rivals of plotting to taint him with scandal.
1998 - Hardline Likud rebels force Netanyahu to call snap election over an interim peace deal to give Palestinians control over more West Bank land. Netanyahu loses the election.
2002 - Sharon defeats leadership challenge from then-foreign minister Netanyahu in primary after calling a snap election following the collapse of a previous ruling coalition.
2004 - Likud delivers embarrassing blows to Sharon by first rejecting his proposal to abandon the occupied Gaza Strip and then pressuring him to hold a national referendum.
He pushes ahead regardless and the withdrawal of troops is completed in September 2005 after the evacuation of settlers.
2005 - Netanyahu and Sharon engage in public name-calling campaign on national television and radio in the run-up to Monday's Likud vote on a bid by Netanyahu to topple Sharon as party leader by advancing a leadership primary to November.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges