HNN Quiz: How Many People Did Bush Take to Europe?News at Home
CONTEXT When Richard Nixon traveled to China in 1972 to meet Mao he brought with him 300 people, including reporters. The Chinese were said to have been shocked. Even their emperors had never traveled like this.
After Nixon all of the presidents began traveling with large retinues. Indeed, the retinues became larger and larger. In 1984 when Ronald Reagan went to China he brought six hundred people with him. In 1998 when Bill Clinton voyaged to China he brought 900. The Clinton roster included 70 senior aides, 150 security officers, a hairdresser and a valet. Along with the people came communications equipment, podiums and 10 armored limousines.
More were supposed to go. But on the eve of the trip the White House cut a hundred travelers to show that it was being appropriately budget conscious. Officials subsequently admitted that because the list had been shortened at the last minute the government still had to pay for the accommodations booked months in advance for those who had been left behind.
BACKWARD GLANCE In the spring of 1791 George Washington traveled to the Deep South. According to biographer James Thomas Flexner, Washington's cavalcade consisted of"his light coach drawn by four horses, a baggage wagon, four extra coach horses and one saddle horse. In addition to the men necessary to handle the horses, Washington's only attendant would be a valet."
comments powered by Disqus
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich