Whiteness History Month coming to Portland Community College in AprilBreaking News
tags: Whiteness History Month, Portland Community College, whiteness studies
Whiteness History Month won't focus on whites as a group of people, according to PCC spokeswoman Kate Chester. The discussions will center on "whiteness as a social construct."
Chester said the school planned to publicize the month-long agenda once it was completed in early February. But some conservative news organizations picked up the story Monday, Martin Luther King Jr Day, and the story went viral with headlines saying the school planned a month of "whiteness-shaming."
PCC said that's not the case. "There's a difference between white and whiteness," Chester said in an interview, "and that might be what some of the conservative bloggers don't understand."
comments powered by Disqus
- Polish prime minister seeks dialogue with Israel on 'difficult history'
- Writer Makes the Case for Impeaching Clarence Thomas
- Finding a Lock of George Washington’s Hair, and a Link to American History
- How Does Trump Stack Up Against the Best — and Worst — Presidents?
- Russia Isn’t the Only One Meddling in Elections. We Do It, Too.
- Dartmouth’s Randall Balmer: Under Trump, America's religious right is rewriting its code of ethics
- Was This Technology historian plagiarized? Sure seems like she was.
- Meet the new authorized historian of Britain's communications intelligence agency
- Lerone Bennett Jr., journalist and historian of African American life, dies at 89