Whiteness History Month coming to Portland Community College in AprilBreaking News
tags: Whiteness History Month, Portland Community College, whiteness studies
Whiteness History Month won't focus on whites as a group of people, according to PCC spokeswoman Kate Chester. The discussions will center on "whiteness as a social construct."
Chester said the school planned to publicize the month-long agenda once it was completed in early February. But some conservative news organizations picked up the story Monday, Martin Luther King Jr Day, and the story went viral with headlines saying the school planned a month of "whiteness-shaming."
PCC said that's not the case. "There's a difference between white and whiteness," Chester said in an interview, "and that might be what some of the conservative bloggers don't understand."
comments powered by Disqus
- U.S. Planned for Military Occupation of Cuba
- New picture emerges of Mata Hari, who faced firing squad 100 years ago
- Massive section of Western Wall and Roman theater uncovered after 1,700 years
- Fight over national monuments intensifies
- Martin Luther: Reluctant reformer who rocked Christianity 500 years ago
- Historian Keri Leigh Merritt defends activist scholars
- Historian digs into the hidden world of Mormon finances
- A historian who became a business professor?
- Allan Lichtman's response to critics of his book that makes the case for Trump’s impeachment
- "Do We Have To Fight Nazis Again?” asks historian Paul Ortiz