Whiteness History Month coming to Portland Community College in AprilBreaking News
tags: Whiteness History Month, Portland Community College, whiteness studies
Whiteness History Month won't focus on whites as a group of people, according to PCC spokeswoman Kate Chester. The discussions will center on "whiteness as a social construct."
Chester said the school planned to publicize the month-long agenda once it was completed in early February. But some conservative news organizations picked up the story Monday, Martin Luther King Jr Day, and the story went viral with headlines saying the school planned a month of "whiteness-shaming."
PCC said that's not the case. "There's a difference between white and whiteness," Chester said in an interview, "and that might be what some of the conservative bloggers don't understand."
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump, Mueller And The Ancient History Of Grants Of Immunity
- Documents show Gorbachev was assured US wouldn't expand NATO into Central and Eastern Europe
- Memorial to honor 4,000 victims of lynching to be built in Montgomery, Alabama
- Study: Inequality is a phenomenon of the past 10,000 years
- From 200 Years Ago, a Lesson About Mass Killings
- College Board revises AP European history test in response to criticism by conservatives
- AHA says it’s feasible to stop the proposed tax on grad student tuition waivers
- Rashid Khalidi opposes Trump decision on Jerusalem
- Daniel Pipes backs Trump decision on Jerusalem
- The Penn TA who said she calls on black women first won’t be teaching next semester