Some Places Are Celebrating A Different Holiday On Columbus DayBreaking News
Related Link Columbus holiday still draws controversy
As Americans celebrate Columbus Day on Monday, a number of places are moving to recognize a different holiday.
Seattle and Minneapolis are among the locations that will celebrate "Indigenous Peoples' Day" this year as part of an effort to recognize the marginalization of indigenous groups, who were already here when Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas and were nearly wiped out afterwards. The resolutions, which passed for the first time in both cities last year, will not replace Columbus Day, but rather recognize indigenous communities alongside Columbus.
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln and the Shavuot Controversy of 1865
- This Montana Farm Boy Became a Scientific Legend, Developing Vaccines to Protect Kids Worldwide
- Should the U.S. Favor Public Health or the Economy? History Shows they’re Inseparable
- Future Historians Will Rely on Wikipedia’s COVID-19 Coverage
- Reparations – Has the Time Finally Come?