Anti-gay ‘historian’ leading pro-Ted Cruz PAC says Bible forbids finding an AIDS vaccineHistorians in the News
tags: David Barton, Religin, Ted Cruz PAC
The man who will be controlling millions of dollars in his role as head of GOP presidential nominee Ted Cruz’s super PAC believes that scientists will not be able to create a vaccine for the AIDS virus because he thinks a Bible verse says AIDS is God’s retaliation for sin.
This is just one of the many strange beliefs held by David Barton, who has been tapped to lead Keep the Promise PAC, an umbrella organization related to pro-Cruz committees that raised $38 million in the first half of 2015, Right Wing Watch reports.
“I don’t think they will ever find a vaccine for HIV/AIDS,” Barton said in a talk posted to the RWW YouTube account in March. “I say that based on a particular Bible verse.”
He then cites Romans 1:27 that says, “Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.”
“The Bible says if you engage in homosexuality, your body will do things that penalize you,” Barton goes on. “So if you can have a vaccine for AIDS, then you’re keeping your body from penalizing you. I don’t think they’ll ever find a vaccine for AIDS.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers