Anti-gay ‘historian’ leading pro-Ted Cruz PAC says Bible forbids finding an AIDS vaccineHistorians in the News
tags: David Barton, Religin, Ted Cruz PAC
The man who will be controlling millions of dollars in his role as head of GOP presidential nominee Ted Cruz’s super PAC believes that scientists will not be able to create a vaccine for the AIDS virus because he thinks a Bible verse says AIDS is God’s retaliation for sin.
This is just one of the many strange beliefs held by David Barton, who has been tapped to lead Keep the Promise PAC, an umbrella organization related to pro-Cruz committees that raised $38 million in the first half of 2015, Right Wing Watch reports.
“I don’t think they will ever find a vaccine for HIV/AIDS,” Barton said in a talk posted to the RWW YouTube account in March. “I say that based on a particular Bible verse.”
He then cites Romans 1:27 that says, “Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.”
“The Bible says if you engage in homosexuality, your body will do things that penalize you,” Barton goes on. “So if you can have a vaccine for AIDS, then you’re keeping your body from penalizing you. I don’t think they’ll ever find a vaccine for AIDS.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Surprisingly Complex Link Between Prohibition and Women’s Rights
- Snopes: Did Clifford Walker Say at a 1924 KKK Rally That He Would Build a ‘Wall of Steel’ Against Immigrants?
- Race and Service in the Pacific During World War II
- Judge Overturns Alabama Law Preventing Removal of Confederate Monuments
- Beyond Rosa Luxemburg: five more women of the German revolution you need to know about
- Was Eric Hobsbawm a dangerous Communist?
- Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Like in American History? Historians Weigh In
- Jessica Wilkerson: If We Forget Appalachia's Radical History, We Will Misunderstand Its Future
- Stanford Professor Emeritus Harold Kahn, who specialized in Chinese history, dead at 88
- A Lost Piece of Trans History