Deja Vu: Historians will once again be debating a resolution about Israel at the annual AHA conventionHistorians in the News
tags: Israel, BDS, Historians Against War, AHA2016
The historians who tried but failed last year to persuade the AHA to consider a resolution critical of Israel are back, this time giving themselves plenty of time to round up support. Acting with dispatch, they have given notice that they plan to petition the AHA to consider the issue at the upcoming annual meeting in January in Atlanta.
By taking early action they are answering one of the chief objections of critics, who argued at the past year's meeting that historians hadn't been given enough time to think through the implications of the proposed resolution.
Both sides are preparing for battle, posting full-page dueling ads (see below) in the current issue of Perspectives, the AHA's monthly news magazine. (The ads appear on pages 22 and 23.)
The proposed resolution would put the AHA on record against Israel's alleged practice of restricting the rights of Palestinian educators. Judging by the advertisement in Perspectives, more than fifty historians, including several past presidents of the AHA, have signed onto the new resolution.
Opponents argue that the indictment of Israel leaves out the context in which Israel's actions have taken place.
Go here for background on last year's controversy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history