Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite imagesBreaking News
tags: Syria, Palmyra, ISIS, ISIL, Ancient Artifacts, Temple of Bel
Satellite images have confirmed that Islamic State (Isis) has largely destroyed another ancient temple in the Syrian city of Palmyra, the United Nations said on Monday.
A powerful blast in the ruins of the ancient city on Sunday was believed to have been the result of Isis targeting the Temple of Bel, although the extent of the damage at the Roman-era structure was not immediately clear.
However, the UN training and research agency (Unitar) says that its satellite programme put to rest any doubts that the structure had been destroyed in the blast.
comments powered by Disqus
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past