Mexico Charges Ex - President for 1968 MassacreBreaking News
In the latest test of President Vicente Fox's pledge to punish those responsible for past repression, a special prosecutor presented genocide and kidnapping charges against Echeverria and seven others for the October 2, 1968, blood bath at a student rally in Mexico City.
``It has been almost 37 years of impunity and justice denied,'' prosecutor Ignacio Carrillo told Reuters. ``Now for the first time it is possible that the justice system may perform its duty.''
The criminal court judge in Mexico City has until Tuesday afternoon to decide whether to issue arrest orders or dismiss the charges, although the deadline may be extended an additional day. The case file contains 34,600 pages.
Echeverria was interior minister and head of national security at the time of the massacre.
comments powered by Disqus
- Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
- Agriculture Linked to DNA Changes in Ancient Europe
- A Century Ago, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Changed Everything
- At Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, a Heralded Alum, Is Recast as an Intolerant One
- Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled