Mexico Charges Ex - President for 1968 MassacreBreaking News
In the latest test of President Vicente Fox's pledge to punish those responsible for past repression, a special prosecutor presented genocide and kidnapping charges against Echeverria and seven others for the October 2, 1968, blood bath at a student rally in Mexico City.
``It has been almost 37 years of impunity and justice denied,'' prosecutor Ignacio Carrillo told Reuters. ``Now for the first time it is possible that the justice system may perform its duty.''
The criminal court judge in Mexico City has until Tuesday afternoon to decide whether to issue arrest orders or dismiss the charges, although the deadline may be extended an additional day. The case file contains 34,600 pages.
Echeverria was interior minister and head of national security at the time of the massacre.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton