KGB records show how spies penetrated the heart of IndiaBreaking News
Such claims have previously been ignored or brushed aside by Delhi. But the revelations from the KGB documents that form one of the biggest Western intelligence coups in recent years provide firm evidence for these claims. The records have been analysed in a new book about the KBG’s global operations, and the first extracts appear today in Times Books.
According to these top-secret records, brought to the West by Vasili Mitrokhin, a former senior archivist of the KGB, Soviet intelligence set out to exploit the corruption that became endemic under Indira Gandhi’s regime.
Despite her own frugal lifestyle, suitcases full of banknotes were said to be routinely taken to the Prime Minister’s house to finance her wing of the Congress Party. One of her opponents claimed that Mrs Gandhi did not even return the suitcases.
The Prime Minister was unaware that some of the suitcases, which replenished Congress’s coffers, came from Moscow via the KGB.
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth T. Tellis - 9/21/2005
The Soviet Union penetrated so many third world countries that it seems unbelieveable.
Money has worked wonders for the KGB that had so much of it, they even reached into the U.S. government.
In the case of a third world country like India, it was much easier to achieve, since there was open corruption in almost every political party. The Indian National Congress being the largest party received much more than the others.
So why are people surprised at this happening in India? After all life in India is cheap. You can commit murder and pay off the police. So the KGB knew the kind of people they were dealing with.
Those in the West that are taken aback with the KGB book, should think back to Indira Gandhi and her attitude towards the West. She lusted for power and did not really care where the money came from. Her many challenges to the West can now be explained more clearly. Neither she nor India were friends of the West, except when China retaliated in late December 1962, in the border war that India lost hands down.
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history