Replica of General Lafayette's 'Hermione' arrives in VirginiaBreaking News
tags: Virginia, Hermione, General Lafayette
Fireworks lit up a gray sky in Yorktown -- where American forces led by General George Washington and French soldiers scored a decisive victory over the British in 1781, prompting their capitulation -- to mark the Hermione's arrival.
The three-masted tall ship -- constructed using only 18th century shipbuilding techniques -- fired 21 cannon rounds to announce its arrival at 8:21 am (1221 GMT). A 21-gun salute echoed out from the shore in reply.
Several hundred people braved a persistent drizzle to come cheer the stately ship -- a symbol of Franco-American friendship. Onlookers waved flags while fife and drum corps played and people walked about in period attire.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Tom Engelhardt Revisits His First Piece of Critical History – 48 Years Later
- Heather Cox Richardson: Trump isn’t the first president to compare himself to Jesus — the last one who did ‘planned to lead his white supremacist supporters to victory’
- Historians' archival research looks quite different in the digital age
- Senate Historian Daniel S. Holt Featured on Political Theatre Podcast
- The Way We Do the Things We Do: Making History-Making Visible