Replica of General Lafayette's 'Hermione' arrives in VirginiaBreaking News
tags: Virginia, Hermione, General Lafayette
Fireworks lit up a gray sky in Yorktown -- where American forces led by General George Washington and French soldiers scored a decisive victory over the British in 1781, prompting their capitulation -- to mark the Hermione's arrival.
The three-masted tall ship -- constructed using only 18th century shipbuilding techniques -- fired 21 cannon rounds to announce its arrival at 8:21 am (1221 GMT). A 21-gun salute echoed out from the shore in reply.
Several hundred people braved a persistent drizzle to come cheer the stately ship -- a symbol of Franco-American friendship. Onlookers waved flags while fife and drum corps played and people walked about in period attire.
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea