Replica of General Lafayette's 'Hermione' arrives in VirginiaBreaking News
tags: Virginia, Hermione, General Lafayette
Fireworks lit up a gray sky in Yorktown -- where American forces led by General George Washington and French soldiers scored a decisive victory over the British in 1781, prompting their capitulation -- to mark the Hermione's arrival.
The three-masted tall ship -- constructed using only 18th century shipbuilding techniques -- fired 21 cannon rounds to announce its arrival at 8:21 am (1221 GMT). A 21-gun salute echoed out from the shore in reply.
Several hundred people braved a persistent drizzle to come cheer the stately ship -- a symbol of Franco-American friendship. Onlookers waved flags while fife and drum corps played and people walked about in period attire.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past
- Linda Gordon’s new book captures how white supremacy has long been part of our political mainstream
- Yale Civil Rights history course is a "call to action" and a chance "to be woke”
- Gil Troy back’s Trump decision on Jerusalem