Mormon Church founder's arrest records rediscovered
The current county historian, Dale Storms, says the records pertain to Smith's arrests for "glass looking," a 19th-century term for treasure hunting.
In 1830, Smith founded what became known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That was ten years after he claimed to have seen a vision of God and Jesus while praying in the woods near his home in Palmyra in western New York.
Smith was killed in 1844 by an anti-Mormon mob in Illinois.
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate