Ancient document details making of Seokgatap Pagoda
Experts expect the handwritten document, made up of some 100 palm-sized sheets of mulberry paper, will provide a more accurate account of the stone pagoda's history.
The document was first discovered in 1966 along with Mugujeonggwang Daedaranigyeong (Pure Light Dharani Sutra), the world's oldest woodblock printing plate, when historians disassembled the pagoda for restoration purposes. It has since been in possession of the museum.
According to Yi Young-hoon, the museum's director of curatorial affairs, the pages of the document were stuck together when first found. They remained in this state until 1997, when researchers came across the forgotten document and started separating them, a process that took over a year.
“Though further study on the document needs to be done, what we know for sure at this point is when and why it was written,” he said.
The museum said the Chinese name of the era specified in the record indicates that it was written sometime during the 11th or 12th century and the use of the word “chungsugi,” or restoration record, shows why it was written.
Yi said the museum, which is waiting for the Oct. 28 reopening of its new home in Yongsan, will start a thorough examination of the text early next year.
comments powered by Disqus
- Neanderthal 'Art' Found In Cave Sheds Surprising New Light On Ancient Intelligence
- Midterm Election Mind-Reading: The Market Tends to Win
- Proof surfaces for affair between Queen Victoria and her male assistant
- Could humans cause another Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum?
- Vikings are having a great year!
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?