CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyedBreaking News
tags: Iraq, Mosul, Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus, Nineveh
Related Link Endangered Heritage Sites in Iraq (Facebook)
The photographs are new, from different angles, from different moments in the process, from different people of different politics; their details match up with the details on other photos and satellite images. Christopher Jones (@cwjones89) and I agree: it’s gone; the Islamic State has blown up the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus.
The geographical and architectural plan of the destroyed site is the same as that of the Shrine-Mosque of the Prophet Yunus (or Younis) and its Tomb of the Prophet Jonah. The terracing, walls, portals and arches of the ancient site are the same. The water tower, roads, street lamps, vehicles in the surrounding modern neighbourhood are the same. The many photographs all correspond with each other. This has happened.
comments powered by Disqus
- You Can’t Be the ‘President of Law and Order’ if You Thrive on Chaos
- Law Professor Criticized After Reading Racial Slur In Class
- Chicago 1968: Blood Outside the Arena (Reprinted from 8/28/1968)
- Abraham Lincoln and the Shavuot Controversy of 1865
- This Montana Farm Boy Became a Scientific Legend, Developing Vaccines to Protect Kids Worldwide
- Rutger Bregman on His Intellectual Journey and the Problems of the Speaking Circuit
- National Protests over George Floyd's Death was 'Conflagration Waiting to Happen'
- George Floyd’s Death and the Long History of Racism in Minneapolis
- Historian on White House Response to COVID: "Clearly, They Have Not Told the Truth"
- This Election Isn't 1968 or 1992 or 2016