Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
Archaeologists on Quebec’s North Shore are teaming up with provincial police and federal authorities to fight the looting of its underwater heritage sites.
Local authorities are hoping the new Heritage Preservation Agreement will curb the amount of artifacts that are stolen by treasure-hunting divers from hundreds of shipwrecks and other historic sites at the bottom of the St. Lawrence River.
Project coordinator Francois Guindon said divers are frequently finding new wrecks and it’s vital that they be protected from the often reckless acts of looters.
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate