Read Warren Harding's Love LettersBreaking News
tags: sex, Warren Harding
HNN Editor: The NYT has published selections from more than love letters Warren Harding wrote to his mistress Carrie Phillips.
Dec. 24, 1910
I love you more than all the world and have no hope of reward on earth or hereafter, so precious as that in your dear arms, in your thrilling lips, in your matchless breasts, in your incomparable embrace.
Jan. 2, 1913
I stopped play to have sandwiches and crack a bottle of wine, so I could dwell with my thoughts. You can guess where they centered — on the New Year’s beginning a year before, when the bell rang the chorus while our hearts sang the rapture without words and we greeted the New Year from the hallowed heights of heaven. . . . When I got home I was too tired to sleep, but I rested, and you were summoned in finally. And you came — a vision vividly plain, a goddess in human form — and a perfect form — clad only in flowing hair, and you were joyously received, and Jerry [Harding's nickname for his penis] came and insisted on staying while we all retrospected in the happiness of a Sunday in Richmond.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history