Oprah Winfrey Will Portray Annie Lee Cooper in Civil Rights Drama SelmaBreaking News
tags: civil rights, Annie Lee Cooper
Ava DuVernay, the independent film director known for 2011’s I Will Follow and 2012’s Middle of Nowhere, has another big name added to the cast of her Martin Luther King Jr. feature drama, Selma.
According to The Wrap, Oprah Winfrey will portray freedom fighter Annie Lee Cooper. Cooper, a Selma, Ala., native, who died in November 2010 at 100 years old, stood in line for hours in an attempt to register to vote at the Dallas County Courthouse during the civil rights movement.
comments powered by Disqus
- "I've studied the history of Confederate memorials. Here's what to do about them."
- Annette Gordon-Reed writes about why Jefferson matters more than ever after Charlottesville
- Harvard’s Maya Jasanoff vists the Congo and discovers people there probably live harder lives than they did 100 years ago when Joseph Conrad was there
- Eric Foner says in an interview that it’s not necessary to remove Confederate statues
- Philip Zelikow says the government should crack down on armed groups of militants