Hong Kong's Huge Vigil For Tiananmen SquareBreaking News
tags: Tiananmen Square
Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong joined a candlelight vigil on Wednesday to mark the 25th anniversary of China's military suppression of protests in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Residents held candles to remember the victims at Victoria Park, turning the six football fields into an ocean of flickering light.
More than 180,000 people joined the gathering, according to organisers, although police put the crowd at fewer than 100,000.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich