Hong Kong's Huge Vigil For Tiananmen Squaretags: Tiananmen Square
Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong joined a candlelight vigil on Wednesday to mark the 25th anniversary of China's military suppression of protests in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Residents held candles to remember the victims at Victoria Park, turning the six football fields into an ocean of flickering light.
More than 180,000 people joined the gathering, according to organisers, although police put the crowd at fewer than 100,000.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans
- Ron Radosh and Allis Radosh plan to defend Warren Harding in a new book
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Ken Burns: Donald Trump’s birtherism — a “politer way of saying the ‘N-word'” — proves America isn’t remotely “post-racial”