Hong Kong's Huge Vigil For Tiananmen SquareBreaking News
tags: Tiananmen Square
Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong joined a candlelight vigil on Wednesday to mark the 25th anniversary of China's military suppression of protests in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Residents held candles to remember the victims at Victoria Park, turning the six football fields into an ocean of flickering light.
More than 180,000 people joined the gathering, according to organisers, although police put the crowd at fewer than 100,000.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bernie Sanders picks Cornel West to help write Democratic platform
- Trump is empowering anti-Semites, Holocaust deniers, and White nationalists
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed
- Female World War II Pilots Can Now Have Their Ashes at Arlington National Cemetery
- Obama Signs Bill Removing ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from Federal Laws
- Timothy Garton Ash Puts Forth a Free-Speech Manifesto
- Iowa historian makes independent bid for US Senate
- British feminist historian declines prestigious Israeli award following BDS pressure
- Robert W. Gutman, Biographer of Wagner and Mozart, Dies at 90
- Greg O’Malley’s go-to slave trade database will soon show more than the path the ships took from Africa to the New World