Survivor recalls disastrous D-Day rehearsaltags: World War II, D-Day
This week, as the Allies commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day, there is one story from the invasion most people don't know.
It happened during the rehearsal, but the U.S. military kept it secret, long after the war.
In the waters off a peaceful stretch of beach in southern England, the U.S. military lost more lives practicing to land on Utah Beach than actually died there on D-Day.
comments powered by Disqus
- Dr. Saad Eskander's forced departure from Iraq's National Library and Archives deplored
- Nancy Cott selected as the next President-Elect of the Organization of American Historians
- Scholar calls ISIS destruction of antiquities an example of ethnic cleansing
- Historian Qingjia Edward Wang never thought he would one day write a book about chopsticks.
- Bernard Bailyn’s influence on the profession is hailed in the WSJ