Historians want more funding for NARAtags: NARA
The Obama Administration has recommended funding the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in fiscal year 2015, at a level of $377 million, a $9.5 million reduction from the FY 14 level of $386.5 million. Although we understand the need for fiscal austerity, we are concerned that the programs that NARA refers to as “citizen services” appear to be bearing a disproportionate share of the proposed cuts.
We are pleased to see that the administration is proposing an increase for the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) grants program—albeit a modest $500,000— bringing the agency’s funding up to a level of $5 million in fiscal year (FY) 2015. This program has seen its budget reduced dramatically in recent years. NCH urges the subcommittee to support funding the NHPRC at the $5 million level.
Thank you for the opportunity to submit our views on the National Archives and Records Administration’s (NARA’s) proposed fiscal year (FY) 2015 budget. As researchers and conservators of American history and culture we care deeply about the programs and activities of the National Archives and the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
[Click on the link below to read Lee White's full testimony before Congress.]
comments powered by Disqus
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead