Sandy Burger Fined $50,000 for Smuggling Documents
This last April Berger pled guilty to unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents and Justice Department lawyers had proposed only a $10,000 fine. But in passing sentence Judge Robinson declared that the proposed fine "is inadequate because it doesn't reflect the seriousness of the offense."
Berger told the court that he let "considerations of personal convenience override clear rules of handling classified material." He accepted the judgement and does not plan to appeal the sentence.
comments powered by Disqus
- Israel Museum turns a 'brief history of humankind' into exhibit
- What Niall Ferguson's been tweeting lately
- Scholar of Urban Riots: Expect More Unrest
- Historian says Indian mascots remain popular even at schools that dropped them
- A column by Johns Hopkins historian N. D. B. Connolly causes a firestorm on the website of New York Times